Friday, May 27, 2011

Some Good, Some Okay

Kung Fu Panda 2
I just saw "Kung Fu Panda 2" today. HYSTERICAL! I can't decide if I liked it better than the first one or not. One good thing about Kung Fu Panda and other shows like it, is the extra comments you get from the kids in the theatre with you. Once, at a very tense part, a little kid burped. Courtney and I laughed our heads off (I even snorted). Still, even without our propensity to laugh at everything, Kung Fu Panda 2 is very funny. (Other people in the theatre laughed). It's not just for little kids either. The whole family will love it.
I don't want to give away too much of the plot but the thing I liked about the first one was the life lesson learned, the justice in the end and, of course, the hilarity along the way. This one has a great life lesson, awesome justice and even more hilarity. You should go see it now. Also- our theatre has started showing 2D and 3D so we have a choice now. We saw it in 2D and I hope never to shell out the extra cash for 3D again!!!







Pirates of the Carribbean on Stranger Tides

I know this has been a big hit with the critics but I was not as impressed as I expected to be. The thing I like about Jack Sparrow (Captain) is his cleverness and decency, despite being a pirate. He does have that in spades here but I kind of expected Penelope Cruz to be similar and she's really not. I liked the mermaids but I thought the end kind of leaves you hanging with them. And, I'm sorry but the King of England just made me nauseous. I mean, I'm sure he was fat and maybe not all too bright in real life but the guy in the movie was just disgusting! Even if the King WAS disgusting, I just don't need to see that!!
The other Pirates had many more redeeming values than this one. Which, I'm sure, is closer to the reality of piracy, but I like a little more fantasy with my movies. This one is probably best seen on the big screen but certainly don't waste your money seeing it in 3D and if you're on the fence, feel free to wait for it.





Something Borrowed
This is based on Emily Griffin's book of the same name so I know there will be a sequel and I hope it's soon. This one kind of left me hanging. (Although, a Lifetime Movie would be plenty). I LOVE Ginnifer Goodwin and John Krasinski but I was not all that thrilled with Colin Egglesfield. Kate Hudson proves that she is actually an actress because usually I like her and I hated her character in this movie. Ginnifer Goodwin is beautiful in this movie. I've always thought of her as a little young but she looks grown-up and great. I love the courage and compassion that she shows.
The big and happy suprise in this movie is John Krasinski! He totally makes the movie. I haven't read the book but my gut says that it would probably be a little better than the movie. I'm going to go ahead and read the sequels though because I think John Krasinski's character (Ethan) is at the center of the next one (Something Blue) and I REALLY want to find out what happens to him! This is a great movie for girls' night out or in a few months for girls' night in. I don't think people are going to see it as all that memorable though. Kind of meh (if you know what I mean).

Happy movie going to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment