Saturday, February 25, 2012

It's Been Awhile

Wow! Sorry I haven't posted in so long. Life got really busy and I didn't get to see too many movies. I finally decided that I'm going to have to sneak them in when I can and, even though I'm not a night owl, I decided to sacrifice sometimes and see the late show. So, without further ado...the latest movies I've seen.
The Vow
I've been waiting for this one ever since the advertisements for it began several months ago. I really like the way Channing Tatum is gentle and loving but a real man in all his movies. And, of course, Rachel McAdams is always great. I wasn't super in love with her dark hair in this movie but *spoiler alert* she does lighten it halfway through the movie. (Just so you know, I don't personally consider that little tidbit a "spoiler" but I know people who would so this is for them).
I'm guessing that most people who want to see this movie have already seen it so let me know if you liked it or not. I loved the interaction between Channing and Rachel (although, as I saw recently on Pinterest: If I woke up without a memory and Channing Tatum told me he was my husband...I'd go with it). I really identified with both of them and I thought the choices they made were very interesting to think about - would you make the same choices you did before if you lost your memory?
I loved the myriad of life lessons that you could gain from this movie - forgiveness, the search for self, honesty, true love - I could go on and on. Maybe because it was based on a true story it rings a little "truer" than some other movies? I don't know... but I do know that I left the theatre with a smile on my face and a satisfied feeling in my heart from this charming double love story.
Man on a Ledge
I know this movie was panned by the critics but I thought it was great. It is a classic good vs. evil with the twist of not being able to figure out which one is which for a little while (for some of us, maybe not until the very end. lol) As far as the acting goes, you should probably know that I love Sam Worthington. I think he is highly under-rated as an actor and I'm looking forward to "Clash of the Titans" which will be out soon. In fact, I've never seen a movie of his that I didn't like. Elizabeth Banks (who looks a little rough - for good reason, it turns out) is a police psychiatrist trying to talk Sam, an ex-cop/convicted felon, down off the ledge of a hotel, from which he threatens to jump.
Kyra Sedgewick has a cameo as a TV reporter. She is another actress I really like (although I have a hard time picturing her with Kevin Bacon. Am I right?). She is tough and funny and totally unlike her character in The Closer (on TNT). Actually there were several funny lines/situations in this movie along with very tense and intense action - a little something for everyone.
I was originally not going to see this movie (because I mistakenly believed that for once, the critics got it right) but my sisters and my daughter, Kiki, saw it and really liked it. Take my advice (and theirs) and see this feel-good movie (probably have to wait until it comes out on DVD now or see it at a dollar theatre). Again, sorry I'm so far behind!!
Chronicle
In another shocker, I disagree with most of the critics on this movie. All I heard before I went to see this is how great it was, how everyone is so moved and affected by it. And yes, I was affected and moved but not in a good way.
I have only seen one of the actors in this movie before - Michael Kelly (The Adjustment Bureau, Law & Order) and he plays one of the most disturbing men I've seen in awhile. He abuses his son and even when I thought he had learned his lesson and would change his life, he sinks even further. He tries to beat up his son when he is lying in a hospital, unconscious and covered in bandages! I thought he deserved what he got but that's just my evil, vindictive side speaking.
The movie centers around three high school kids. The first one is Andrew Detmer, played by Dane DeHaan, an abused (see above), "quirky" teen who decides to video his life. Matt Garetty, played by Alex Russell, is Andrew's cousin and ride to school. Matt has a MUCH better home life than Andrew which you can tell because he is much better groomed through the whole movie. And Steve Montgomery, played by Michael B. Jordan (who was on Friday Night Lights - a show I never got around to watching), a popular, friendly, and confident kid who is running for Student Body President.
I know some people think it does you good to see the sordid and the ugly - I guess so that you can appreciate the sublime and the beautiful even more. I don't think that seeing disturbing things is particularly mind opening. In fact, I wish I could get some of the horrifying scenes of this movie out of my head. I thought it was really disturbing and I don't think the ending is particularly satisfying. Hopefully this review won't make you super curious and if you haven't seen this one yet, don't bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment