Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Super Summer Movies

Fast and Furious Five

I saw this one with my daughter and we both liked it. I've seen Fast and Furious 4 which helped explain a few things - you may want to see a few of the first "Fast and Furious" movies before you see this one. This movie has some of the best stunts I've ever seen. Of course, ever since XXX, I've come to expect spectaculat stunts whenever Vin Diesel is around. And speaking of Vin Diesel, I've never been one to be impressed by big muscles but I'll just say his voice sends shivers down my spine!

I also like Dwayne Johnson who adds more big muscles to the movie. He is the leader of an elite task force sent to apprehend Diesel and his crew. Unlike the character played by Tommy Lee Jones in "The Fugitive," Dwayne has a heart and some common sense which allows justice to win, even if the law is a little crumpled.

Jordana Brewster is as beautiful as ever (which makes it a little bit hard to believe that she is Diesel's sister) and Paul Walker as her boyfriend and former government agent plays his role perfectly.

The crew that joins them in Brazil makes the movie really fun. There is Sung Kang as the gorgeous Han Lue and Gal Gadot as the even more gorgeous former Mossad agent (you probably remember her from "Date Night" where she plays Mark Wahlberg's girlfriend). Tyrese Gibson and Ludacris deserve special mention - they are hilarious but can be serious and skilled when they need to be. Tego Calderon and his sidekick Don Omar are the same way - with a little more hilariosity thrown in.

Because of the incredible stunts, the "good over evil" plot and the satisfying ending, I give this one two thumbs up!



Rio


Speaking of Brazil - Rio (in 3D) is also out. I did not expect to like this one but I laughed out loud in several parts and it wasn't just me - the rest of the audience was laughing as well. As you know, I'm not a big fan of 3D and this movie certainly didn't need it (but we'll overlook that for now)


The songs were very well done and fit with the movie but the birds flying and the carnival scenes were spectacular! I would see it again just to see those two parts. Of course, it is also a feel good movie with love in the air. The birds that Blue meets along his way (George Lopez as "Rafael" a smooth-talking toucan, Jamie Foxx as Nico and Wil.i.am as Pedro) are hysterical. Tracy Morgan as a dog is not as annoying as I usually find him.


Jesse Eisenberg does a spectacular job as Blu, making him sound cool, nerdy, whiney and confident in turns. Anne Hathaway, likewise, makes the perfect Jewel - the only other blue macaw in existance.


My guess is that the makers of this movie want to cut down on the smuggling of exotic birds but I never felt that they were preaching. I'm going to give this one two suprised thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment