Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Thor



I have to tell you that I was super excited for this movie to come out and it didn't disappoint. I've been a Chris Hemsworth fan ever since he played Kirk's father in Star Trek (2009). He was amazing as Thor - an arrogant but impressive warrior and then a believably gentle and noble as time went on. (It doesn't hurt that he is really good looking either).

I wasn't sure that Natalie Portman could pull off being a physicist but she does a pretty good job. She is funny and determined and you can immediately see her connection to Thor.

My favorite (after Christ Hemsworth) is Kat Dennings as the grad student helping Natalie Portman. Her "ipod" line and "political science" line (among others) are sooo funny!

I hated Tom Hiddleston as Loki and yet I felt sorry for him - which is what we are supposed to do so it must mean he is a really good actor. The incomparable Anthony Hawkins is a marvelous Odin and it is good to see Rene Russo back as Freya his wife.

I also hated Clark Gregg as the leader of SHIELD (don't ask me what it stands for) and I think you will too.

I have seen several reviews from people who hated this movie but I think they are probably big fans of the comic books - speaking of, Stan Lee does his usual cameo and he is great. The comic book fans have certain pictures in their heads of what everyone should look like and I think the real life people probably don't measure up to that. I, however, haven't read any Thor comic books and I'm SUPER excited for Thor II to come out. Two thumbs up on this one too!

1 comment: