Saturday, March 12, 2011

Red Riding Hood




I have to say the visuals in this movie are stunning. The villiage, the forest, and the houses are all beautiful and haunting and just like a fairytale. And the red cloak is beautiful whenever it shows up. I want one just like it.

After the opening scenes showing the forest and narrowing in on the little villiage where our tale takes place, I have to say, I was really disappointed in the first third of the movie. Several of the villiagers were REALLY bad actors - WAY over the top. Even when they were supposed to be in the background they were over-acting! And I am pretty sure that "dirty dancing" was not part of usual medieval societies - even fairytale ones and a little girl who has no problem cutting a sweet bunny rabbit's throat? It was a little bit too much to swallow.


I think Red Riding Hood (who we learn is really named Valerie) chooses the wrong boy too. You may disagree with me but I think Henry is much better looking and nicer than Peter (not to mention richer). But, I was pleased with the ending all in all.

There are a few really disturbing scenes - one where a boy who is not right in the head is tortured while his sister bargains with her body for his release (no nudity, though), the gentle priest is run through and killed for a very flimsy reason, and a couple of limbs are cut off and shown close-up. Unfortunately, there were small children in the theatre when I watched this movie. I guess their parents thought, "Oh, this is a fairy tale - great for kids." (Or they just don't care what their kids watch).

I hated Gary Oldham in this one - which I guess means he's a pretty good actor and I was super pleased to see Julie Christie! She was fabulous! However, other than some thought-provoking questions about choices, honor, secrets and family, I think this is one that you can safely wait for to come out on video - which I'm sure it will soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment