Thursday, February 3, 2011


Most of you have already seen True Grit but for those of you who are still wondering if it is for you. It is. Even if you don't usually like Westerns, this is a great movie.
I admit, I didn't really want to see it. I don't like John Wayne and I thought that a movie made popular by him would be annoying. I was wrong and I might even get the John Wayne version just to see what it's like.
It's unfortunate that Hailee Steinfeld doesn't get top billing because she does an outstanding job. She is stubborn, very determined and speaks her mind, all while talking in the more formal language used at the time. I even had to leave the theatre at the climactic part because I was so worried for her (it was too real).
Matt Damon is great as a Texas Ranger. He adds just the right amount of levity when it's called for and his being along made me less anxious for the young girl alone with the grizzled, tough, US Marshall Cogburn.
Jeff Bridges takes it to a whole new level. Sometimes I like him in movies and sometimes I think he's just playing himself. But in this movie, he IS Rooster Cogburn. There were times that I didn't understand his accent so I'll probably get it on DVD and watch it again but it wasn't really necessary. I could understand the story.
There are so many good parts that I hesitate to name my favorite but the very end when the girl has become a woman and goes to see Mr. Cogburn. . .I cried (of course, I hid it from Kiki who went with me so don't tell her).

No comments:

Post a Comment